Kasee's 5k's

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

With a little encouragement from friends 1 ran my first 5k! I've never enjoyed running but finally got the kick in the pants I needed when some other friends of mine became casual runners and I felt like "I could do that too." I've always been intimidated by people who run at 6 in the morning, 5 days a week, for 7 miles. It's just not my thing!

Thankfully, I've found that group zumba/workout classes are MY thing! But with a goal to work out 3 times a week for all of 2015, there are times when I just can't get to 3 classes at the gym. So running has helped fill in those gaps for me! I can run anywhere, any time of day and it's easy to have the right stuff- just my phone, shoes, and armband!

I ran my first 5k with Jaymie and Cami and it was a glow run. Sadly, it was supposed to be outside but was raining so it got moved inside to the rec center's indoor track. It was definitely easier that way and I think we all went faster and did better on a flat air conditioned track. So it was a good 5k to start with! We didn't stay together but it was fun getting ready, hanging out after and of course, getting some Freddy's as a reward!




For my second 5k, I ran with my friends Cami and Amber. A lady from church hosts this 5k to benefit a local nonprofit school for children with special needs. It was a pretty morning but HOT by the time we finished! Amber got 1st place for women and Cami was going fast too! I just tried to go fast enough to always see Cami ahead of me! Jason and Nora came to cheer me on at the finish line so that so nice to see their smiling faces!

 Almost there!


I did it! 

 Celebratory slide with these ladies! Poor Amber was getting squished! So fun. 

 We were hot and sweaty but WE DID IT! 

Love these girls for motivating me and cheering me on!

I'm really proud of myself for training and committing to something! I still don't love running more than 2-3 miles but that's okay. I think I would like to do a 5k every quarter so 4 a year! 2 down, 2 to go! It would probably be a good goal to work towards a 10k but I'm not quite ready yet to commit to that since I just barely got comfortable (but it's still really hard!) with the 5k distance. 

I'm enjoying being a healthier me though! Let's hope I can keep it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS